Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Must Read Monday- "The Other Side of the Story" Series

Must-Read Monday Linky


A few months ago when purchasing books I came across this great series of fractured fairy tales, "The Other Side of the Story" by a three different of authors, Trisha Speed Shaskanm, Nancy Loewen, and Eric Braun.  The titles include:

Honestly, Red Riding Hood Was Rotten!
Seriously, Cinderella Is So Annoying!
Really, Rapunzel Needed A Haircut!
Seriously, Snow White Was Really Forgetful!
No Lie, I Acted Like A Beast!
Trust Me, Jack's Beanstalk Stinks!
Believe Me, Goldilocks Rocks!
Truly, We Both Loved Beauty Dearly!
The Story of the Frog Prince as Told by the Frog
No Kidding, Mermaids Are A Joke!


Each story is told from the point of view of another character in the story.  For example, "Honestly, Red Riding Hood Was Rotten" is told from the wolf's point of view.  The story starts out:

"Chomp! Chomp! Oh, I'm sorry.  I was just finishing my lunch.  my name's Wold- Big Bad Wolf.  You may have heard the story of Little Red Riding Hood. About a girl and her granny? Seems everyone has.  My tail is different. Did i say tail? I meant tale."

As you continue to read you learn the the wolf is a vegetarian and starving waiting for the apple harvest.  In her beautiful red cape, what did Little Red Riding Hood look like... an apple.  To make matters worse for this starving wolf Granny's house smelled like apple air freshener and she herself looked like a Granny Smith Apple.  The Wolf does end up eating both Granny and Red Riding Hood but he finds she tastes a bit rotten, hence the title of the book.

At the end of each story is a Think About It section to further think about this story and a glossary.  You can also find a Read More section to find related books, Internet Sites to learn more, and more books in the series.

My students love the books so far.

2 comments:

  1. These books would be PERFECT for the fairytale / folktale unit that we just started today. I'll have to check for them in my media center. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete